Welcome to West Chester's newsroom. The department of Integrated Multimedia & Marketing is committed to sharing important news with the West Chester community and the media.
West Chester's public information team is prepared to respond to requests for information and work within tight deadlines to support our local media organizations.. Working with the media is critical to successful communication with the general public. West Chester's communications team works with the media to ensure accuracy and transparency in a responsive manner. Please contact us first for information or to schedule an interview with a subject expert from our team of professional public servants. Media contact.
Six new part-time firefighters join department's ranks
Six new part-time firefighters join the ranks of the West Chester Fire Department. The fire department has 73 part-time positions in its complement. With Board of Trustees approval of these six new firefighters, the department remains 30 personnel short of the full complement.
“The part-time staff is vital,” according to Fire Chief Rick Prinz. “Utilizing part-time personnel to supplement the core career staff is the most efficient and fiscally responsible manner of staffing and meeting the communities’ needs.”
Added to the Department’s part-time ranks are:
- Matthew Fornshil: An Ohio certified FF II and EMT, Fornshil is also certified in Fire Investigation Evidence Collection and Hazardous Materials-Operations. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Cincinnati and is also employed as an Investigative Assistant with Fire & Explosive Consultants of Dayton, OH.
- Tyler Hibbard: An Ohio certified FF II and EMT, Hibbard has also received additional training for Hazardous Materials-Operations Level, and Emergency Vehicle Operators Course. He is employed as a part-time Firefighter/EMT with the Jefferson Township, OH Fire Department and as a team trainer with Arby's Restaurant.
- Michael Lewis: An Ohio certified FF II and EMT, Lewis is currently attending Sinclair Community College to obtain his Ohio Paramedic certification. He is also employed as a Part-time Firefighter/EMT with the City of West Carrollton, OH Fire Depmtment and the City of Kettering, OH Fire Department.
- Craig Metzcar: An Ohio certified FF II and EMT, Metzcar is currently employed as a part-time Firefighter/EMT with the City of Fairfield, OH Fire Department.
- Matthew Norris: An Ohio certified FF II and EMT, Norris has also received training as a Hazardous Materials-Operations Level. He is also employed part-time as a Firefighter/EMT with the New Lebanon, OH Fire Department and as an EMT with the Kettering Health Network.
- Adam VonDerHaar: An Ohio certified FF II and EMT, VonDerHaar has additional certifications for Driver/Operator, Confined Space Rescue and Hazardous Materials-Awareness Level. He is also employed as a part-time Firefighter/EMT with the Hanover Township, OH Fire Department.
Part-time firefighters are paid $17.07 per hour and the West Chester Fire Department is accepting applications to fill current vacancies.